1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Alexandropol
|←Alexandrite||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 1
|See also Alexandropol on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
ALEXANDROPOL, or Alexandrapol (Turk. Gumri), a Russian town and fortified camp in Transcaucasia, government of Erivan, near the junction of the Arpa-chai with the Aras, 48 m. by rail E.N.E. of Kars. Altitude 5080 ft. It has a trade in silk. Here the Russians defeated the Turks in 1853. Pop. (1885) 22,670; (1897) 32,735.