1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Fergus Falls
|←Ferghana||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 10
|See also Fergus Falls, Minnesota on Wikipedia, and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
FERGUS FALL, a city and the county-seat of Otter Tail county, Minnesota, U.S.A., on the Red River, 170 m. N.W. of Minneapolis. Pop. (1890) 3772; Pop. (1900) 6072, of whom 2131 were foreign-born; (1905) 6692; (1910) 6887. A large part of the population is of Scandinavian birth or descent. Fergus Falls is served by the Great Northern and Northern Pacific railways. Situated in the celebrated “park region” of the state, the city possesses great natural beauty, which has been enhanced by a system of boulevards and well-kept private lawns. Lake Alice, in the residential district, adds to the city's attractions. The city has a public library, a county court house, St Luke's hospital, the G. B. Wright memorial hospital, and a city hall. It is the seat of a state hospital for the insane (1887) with about 1600 patients, of a business college, of the Park Region Luther College (Norwegian Lutheran, 1892), and of the North-western College (Swedish Lutheran; opened in 1901). It has one of the finest water-powers in the state. Flour is the principal product; among others are woolen goods, foundry and machine-shop products; wooden ware, sash, doors and blinds, caskets, shirts, wagons and packed meats. The city owns and operates its water-works and its electric-lighting plant. Fergus Falls was settled about 1859 and was incorporated in 1863.