1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Kirchheim-unter-Teck
|←Kircher, Athanasius||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 15
|Kirchhoff, Gustav Robert→|
|See also Kirchheim unter Teck on Wikipedia, and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
KIRCHHEIM-UNTER-TECK, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Württemberg, is prettily situated on the Lauter, at the north-west foot of the Rauhe Alb, 15 m. S.E. of Stuttgart by rail. Pop. (1905), 8830. The town has a royal castle built in 1538, two schools and several benevolent institutions. The manufactures include cotton goods, damask, pianofortes, machinery, furniture, chemicals and cement. The town also has wool-spinning establishments and breweries, and a corn exchange. It is the most important wool market in South Germany, and has also a trade in fruit, timber and pigs. In the vicinity are the ruins of the castle of Teck, the hereditary stronghold of the dukes of that name. Kirchheim has belonged to Württemberg since 1381.