1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Kiskunfélegyháza
|←Kishm||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 15
|See also Kiskunfélegyháza on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
KISKUNFÉLEGYHÁZA, a town of Hungary, in the county of Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kiskun, 80 m. S.S.E. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1900), 33,242. Among the principal buildings are a fine town hall, a Roman Catholic gymnasium and a modern large parish church. The surrounding country is covered with vineyards, fruit gardens, and tobacco and corn fields. The town itself, which is an important railway junction, is chiefly noted for its great cattle-market. Numerous Roman urns and other ancient relics have been dug up in the vicinity. In the 17th century the town was completely destroyed by the Turks, and it was not recolonized and rebuilt till 1743.