1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Niehaus, Charles Henry
|←Niederwald||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 19
Niehaus, Charles Henry
|See also Charles Henry Niehaus on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
NIEHAUS, CHARLES HENRY (1855- ), American sculptor, of German parentage, was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, on the 24th of January 1855. He was a pupil of the McMichen School of Design, Cincinnati, and also studied at the Royal Academy, Munich, returning to America in 1881; in 1885, after several years in Rome, he established his studio in New York City. In 1906 he became a National Academician. His principal works are: a statue of President Garfield, for Cincinnati; the Hahnemann Memorial, in Washington; “Moses” and “Gibbons,” for the Congressional Library, and “James A. Garfield,” “John J. Ingalls,” “William Allen,” and “Oliver P. Morton,” for Statuary Hall, Capitol, Washington; “Hooker” and “Davenport,” State House, Hartford, Connecticut; the Astor Memorial doors, Trinity Church, New York; “General Forrest,” Memphis, Tennessee; Generals Sherman and Lee, and William the Silent; “The Scraper; or Greek Athlete using a Strigil”; statues of Lincoln, Farragut and McKinley, at Muskegon, Michigan; a statue of McKinley and a lunette for McKinley's tomb, at Canton, Ohio; and “The Driller,” at Titusville, Pennsylvania, in memory of Colonel E. L. Drake, who, in 1859, sank the first oil well in Pennsylvania.