1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Oberlahnstein
|←Oberhausen||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 19
|Oberländer, Adam Adolf→|
|See also Oberlahnstein on Wikipedia, and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
OBERLAHNSTEIN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, on the right bank of the Rhine, at the confluence of the Lahn 4 m. above Coblenz, on the railway from Cologne to Frankfort-on-Main. Pop. (1905) 8472. It still retains parts of its ancient walls and towers, and possesses a castle, the Schloss Martinsburg, formerly the residence of the electors of Mainz, and the chapel, Marien Kapelle, in which the German king Wenceslaus was deposed by the electors in 1400. Near the town is the castle of Lahneck, built about 1290, destroyed by the French in 1689, and restored in 1854. In the neighbourhood are lead and silver mines.
See J. Wegeler, Lahneck und Oberlahnstein (Trier, 1881).