A Boy's Will
|A Boy's Will (1915)
|His first book of poetry, A Boy's Will, was first published by David Nutt in 1913 OCLC 1214302all editions, and by Holt in 1915 OCLC 869355all editions.|
A BOY'S WILL
AUTHOR OF "NORTH OF BOSTON"
HENRY HOLT AND COMPANY
E. M. F.
Into My Own 11
- The youth is persuaded that he will be rather more than less himself for having forsworn the world.
Ghost House 12
- He is happy in society of his choosing.
- He is in love with being misunderstood.
- He is in doubt whether to admit real trouble to a place beside the hearth with love.
A Late Walk 17
- He courts the autumnal mood.
- There is no oversight of human affairs.
Storm Fear 19
- He is afraid of his own isolation.
- Out of the winter things he fashions a story of modern love.
- He calls on change through the violence of the elements.
- He discovers that the greatness of love lies not in forward-looking thoughts;
- nor yet in any spur it may be to ambition.
- He is no dissenter from the ritualism of nature;
- nor from the ritualism of youth which is make-believe.
- He arrives at the turn of the year.
In a Vale 31
- Out of old longings he fashions a story.
A Dream Pang 33
- He is shown by a dream how really well it is with him.
In Neglect 34
- He is scornful of folk his scorn cannot reach.
- And again scornful, but there is no one hurt.
- He takes up life simply with the small tasks.
- He resolves to become intelligible, at least to himself, since there is no help else;
- and to know definitely what he thinks about the soul;
- about love;
- about fellowship;
- about death;
Pan with Us 52
- about art (his own);
- about science.
- It is time to make an end of speaking.
- It is the autumnal mood with a difference.
- He sees days slipping from him that were the best for what they were.
My Butterfly 59
- There are things that can never be the same.
Certain of these, poems are reprinted by courteous permission from:—The Forum, The Independent, The Companion.
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published before January 1, 1923.
The author died in 1963, so this work is also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 30 years or less. This work may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.