Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography/Elliott, Stephen
|←Elliott, Samuel Mackenzie||Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography
|Edition of 1900. See also Stephen Elliott (botanist), Stephen Elliott (bishop), Stephen Elliott, Jr. and William Elliott (writer) on Wikipedia, and our Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography disclaimer.|
ELLIOTT, Stephen, naturalist, b. in Beaufort, S. C., 11 Nov., 1771; d. in Charleston, S. C., 28 March, 1830. His father settled in Beaufort, where he purchased land, and married a granddaughter of John Barnwell. He was graduated at Yale in 1791, devoted himself to the cultivation of his estate and to literary and scientific studies, and in 1793 was elected to the legislature of South Carolina, of which he continued to be a member until the establishment of the Bank of the state in 1812, of which he was chosen president. He retained this office till his death. His leisure was devoted to literature and science, and he cultivated the study of botany with enthusiasm. In 1813 he was instrumental in founding the Literary and philosophical society of South Carolina, of which he was president. He lectured gratuitously on his favorite science, and was for some time editor of the “Southern Review.” In 1825 he aided in establishing the Medical college of the state, and was elected professor of natural history and botany. He was the author of “The Botany of South Carolina and Georgia” (Charleston, 1821-'4), in the preparation of which he was assisted by Dr. James McBride, and left several works in manuscript. His collection in natural history was one of the most extensive in the country. — His son, Stephen, P. E. bishop, b. in Beaufort, S. C., 31 Aug., 1806; d. in Savannah, Ga., 21 Dec., 1866, was graduated at Harvard in 1824, studied law, and practised in Charleston and Beaufort from 1827 till 1833. He became a candidate for holy orders in the Episcopal church, and was ordained a deacon in 1835, and became professor of sacred literature in South Carolina college. He took priest's orders in 1836. In 1840 he was chosen first bishop of the diocese of Georgia, and after his consecration, 28 Feb., 1841, became rector of St. John's church, Savannah. In 1844 he was made provisional bishop of Florida. From 1845 till 1853 he lived in Montpelier, Ga., where he founded a seminary for young ladies, and expended his fortune in the effort to improve female education. He afterward officiated as rector of Christ church, Savannah, until his death. — Another son, James Habersham, clergyman, b. in Beaufort, S. C., in 1819; d. in Charleston, S. C., 18 June, 1876, was graduated at South Carolina college, and for a few years practised law in Charleston; but, after studying for the Protestant Fpiscopal ministry, he was ordained at Beaufort, and held pastorates in Grahamville, S. C., Charleston, Greensboro, Ga., and Brookline, Mass. While in the last-named place he had charge for four years of the “Christian Witness,” published in Boston. In 1871 he was called to the pastorate of St. Paul's church in Charleston, S. C., where he remained until his death. In 1871 he received a large vote for bishop of the diocese. Columbia gave him the degree of D. D. in 1871. — Stephen, son of the second Stephen, soldier, b. in Beaufort, S. C., in 1832; d. in Aiken, S. C., 21 March, 1866. At the beginning of the war he raised and equipped a battery of light artillery, known as the Beaufort artillery. At Pinckney island, in August, 1862, he commanded three batteries, and was promoted for his gallantry. Shortly afterward he was placed in command of Fort Sumter, where he continued during the long bombardment to which it was subjected by Gen. Gillmore. In July, 1864, he was wounded by the explosion of the mine at Petersburg, and was, disabled for the rest of the war. He attained the grade of brigadier-general. In 1865 he took the oath to support the constitution of the state and of the United States, and later was a candidate for congress, being opposed by ex-Gov. Aiken. — Another son of the second Stephen, Robert Woodward Barnwell, P. E. bishop, b. in Beaufort, S. C., 16 Aug., 1840; d. in Sewanee, Tenn., 26 Aug., 1887, was graduated at the College of South Carolina in 1861, and rose to the rank of major in the Confederate army. He took deacon's orders at Rome, Ga., in 1868, and studied in the General theological seminary, New York city, officiating while there as an assistant minister. He was ordained a priest in Savannah, Ga., in 1871, and in November of that year became pastor of St. Philip's church in that city, which rapidly increased in numbers under his ministry. On 15 Nov., 1874, he was consecrated missionary bishop of western Texas, and took up his residence in San Antonio. — William, brother of the first Stephen, patriot of the Revolution, b. in Beaufort, S. C., in 1761; d. there in 1808. He served in the patriot army while still a youth, and was taken prisoner at the surprise of John's island, and confined in the prison-ship. After the war he applied himself with success to repairing the damage done to his estates, was a promoter of various charitable and educational enterprises and public improvements, and served with distinction in both branches of the legislature. — William's son, William, author, b. in Beaufort, S. C., 27 April, 1788; d. there in February, 1863, entered Harvard at the age of eighteen, and took a high rank of scholarship in his class; his health failing him, he was obliged to return home before completing his studies, but his degree was conferred upon him in 1810. During the nullification crisis in South Carolina in 1832 he was a senator in the state legislature, but resigned upon being instructed by his constituents to vote to nullify the tariff law, not believing in the right of nullification, though unalterably opposed to protection. He afterward devoted himself to agriculture and rural sports, and occasionally published essays on rural economy, controversial articles on political science and economics, sporting sketches signed “Venator” and “Piscator,” and poems, and delivered many addresses before agricultural societies. His letters against secession, signed “Agricola,” and published in 1851, were among his latest expressions of opinion upon political subjects. He contributed largely to the periodical press of the south, especially the “Southern Review.” His published works include an “Address before the St. Paul's Agricultural Society” (Charleston, 1850), and “Carolina Sports by Land and Water” (1856). He was also the author of “Fiesco,” a tragedy (1850).