Author:John Merle Coulter
|←Author Index: Co||John Merle Coulter
|An American botanist, founder of the Botanical Gazette.|
- Editor, Botanical Gazette, from its foundation, 1875-.
- Botanical Editor, Proceedings of the National Academy, 1915-.
- Botanical Editor, New International Encyclopedia, 1913-.
- Joint Editor of Heredity and Eugenics. Chicago: University Press, 1912.
- On Editorial Committee of the "University of Chicago Science Series," 1914-.
- Synopsis of the Flora of Colorado (with Thomas Porter and Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden), 1874.
- Manual of Rocky Mountain Botany, 1888, revised, 1909.
- Botany of western Texas. A manual of the phanerograms and pteriodophytes of western Texas, 1891.
- Manual of Texan Botany, 1892-1893.
- Plant Relations, 1899, third revision, 1910.
- Plant Structures, 1899, second edition, 1904.
- Morphology of Spermatophytes, 1901.
- Plant Studies, 1902, second revision 1904.
- Morphology of Angiosperms, (with C. J. Chamberlain), 1903.
- A Textbook of Botany, 1906.
- Practical nature study and elementary agriculture; a manual for the use of teachers and normal students, 1909.
- A Text-Book of Botany for Colleges and Universities, two volumes, 1910-1911.
- Morphology of Gymnosperms (with C. J. Chamberlain), 1910.
- Plants in General, 1913.
- Plants in Cultivation, 1913.
- Elementary Studies in Botany, 1913
- Fundamentals of Plant-Breeding, 1914.
- The Evolution of Sex in Plants, 1914.
- Evolution, Heredity, and Eugenics. "School Science Series," No. 5, 1916.
- "Pollen-spores of Tradescantia Virginica" (with J. N. Rose), Botanical Gazette, Vol. 11 (1886).
- "The Embryogeny of Zamia" (with C. J. Chamberlain), Botanical Gazette, Vol. 35 (1903).
- "Regeneration of Zamia" (with C. J. Chamberlain), Botanical Gazette, Vol. 38 (1904).
- "Botany as a Factor in Education", School Review, Vol. 12 (1904).
- "The Contribution of Germany to Higher Education," University Record, Vol. 13 (1904).
- "Development of Morphological Conceptions," Science, Vol. 20 (1904).
- "The Influence of a Teacher's Research Work upon His Teaching of Biology in Secondary Schools," Science and Mathematics, Vol. 5 (1905).
- "Gametophytes and Embryo of Torreya" (with W. J. G. Land), Botanical Gazette, Vol. 39 (1905).
- "Principles of Nature Study," Nature-Study Review, Vol. 1 (1905).
- "Public Interest in Research," Popular Science Monthly, Vol. 67 (1905).
- "Charles Darwin," Chautauquan, Vol. 45 (1906).
- "The Scientific Spirit," Educational Bi-Monthly, Vol. 1 (1907).
Articles for The New International Encyclopædia
- “Fern,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905. (with Gilbert Van Ingen)
Articles in Popular Science Monthly
- "Public Interest in Research", in Popular Science Monthly Volume 67, August 1905
- "The History of Gymnosperms", in Popular Science Monthly Volume 80, February 1912
Some or all works by this author are in the public domain in the United States because they were published before January 1, 1923.
The author died in 1928, so works by this author are also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 80 years or less. Works by this author may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.