Author:Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
For authors with similar names, see Author:Samuel Johnson.
|←Author Index: Jo||Samuel Johnson
|English poet, essayist, biographer, and lexicographer.|
Biography, Criticism, Lexicography, Prose
- Life of Richard Savage
- A Dictionary of the English Language
- The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia
- The Plays of William Shakespeare
- A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland
- The Lives of the Most Eminent English Poets (1779-1781)
- Biographical History of the English Poets
- Character of Swift's Writings (c. 1779-1781)
Essays, Pamphlets, Periodicals
- Plan for a Dictionary of the English Language
- The Rambler
- The Idler
- The False Alarm
- The Patriot
- Taxation No Tyranny
- Prologue at the Opening of the Theatre in Drury Lane
- The Vanity of Human Wishes
- Irene, a Tragedy
Works about Johnson
- H. P. Lovecraft, A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson
- Arthur Murphy, An Essay on the Life and Genius of Samuel Johnson (1792)
- “Johnson, Samuel” by Thomas Babington Macaulay in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1881.
- Richard Claverhouse Jebb, Samuel Johnson (1894)
- “Johnson, Samuel (lexicographer),” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Johnson, Samuel (essayist),” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Johnson, Samuel” by Thomas Babington Macaulay in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911 (with footnote and afterword by Thomas Seccombe)
- “Johnson, Dr. Samuel,” The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co., 1914.
- “Johnson, Samuel (man of letters)” by William P. Trent in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Johnson, Samuel,” Collier's New Encyclopedia. New York: P.F. Collier & Son Co., 1921.
- "Johnsoniana in Studies of a Biographer by Leslie Stephen
On his works
- “Lives of the Poets” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Rambler, The” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Rasselas” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Vanity of Human Wishes, The” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- Johnsonian Miscellanies
- Footsteps of Dr. Johnson
- A critical examination of Dr G Birkbeck Hills "Johnsonian" Editions