British North America Act (No. 2), 1975
|British North America Act (No. 2), 1975|
Increased the number of Senate seats to 104 from 102 and allocated one seat for the Yukon and one for the Northwest Territories.
23 & 24 Elizabeth II, c. 53 (Canada)
An Act to amend the British North America Acts, 1867 to 1975
[Assented to 19th March, 1975.]
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:—
1. Notwithstanding anything in the British North America Act, 1867, or in any Act of the Parliament of Canada, or in any order in council or terms or conditions of union made or approved under any such Act,
- (a) the number of Senators provided for under section 21 of the British North America Act, 1867, as amended, is increased from one hundred and two to one hundred and four;
- (b) the maximum number of Senators is increased from one hundred and ten to one hundred and twelve; and
- (c) the Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories shall be entitled to be represented in the Senate by one member each.
2. For the purposes of this Act, the term "Province" in section 23 of the British North America Act, 1867 has the same meaning as is assigned to the term "province" by section 28 of the Interpretation Act.
3. This Act may be cited as the British North America Act (No. 2), 1975, and shall be included among the Acts that may be cited as the British North America Acts, 1867 to 1975.
This document is reproduced under the terms of the Reproduction of Federal Law Order for enactments of the Government of Canada. This document is not an official version, and is not endorsed by the Government of Canada.
Crown Copyright pursuant to Section 12 of the Copyright Act for 50 years after the year of first publication. That section and the lack of modern case law make it unclear whether these documents remain protected by perpetual Crown rights and privileges after that term ends.