Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Agria

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search


(ERLAU, EGER, JAGER).

An archiepiscopal see of Hungary, founded in 1009, and made an archdiocese in 1304, by Pius VII. It has 633,804 Latin Catholics; 81,217 Greek Catholics, and 503,407 partly Greek Schismatics and partly Protestants, with a sprinkling of Jews. The parishes number 200, and there are 342 secular clergy, and 51 religious. The vernacular tongue is largely Hungarian and German, but Croat, Slavonic, and Armenian are also spoken. The suffragan dioceses are Kosice (Kassa, Kaschau), Rozsnyò (Rosenau), Szathmàr, and Szepes (Zipo, Zipsen).

BATTANDIER, Ann. pont. cath. (Paris, 1905), 240; WERNER Orbis Terr. Cath. (Freiburg, 1890), 95.

THOMAS J. SHAHAN