Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Rockford
Created 23 September, 1908, comprises Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Winnebago, Boone, McHenry, Carrol, Ogle, DeKalb, Kane, Whiteside, Lee, and Kendall Counties in the north-western part of the State of Illinois. The diocese has an area of 6867 sq. miles, and a Catholic population of 50,000, mostly Irish and Germans or their descendants. The total population of the twelve counties that form the diocese, according to the last census, in 414,872. The entire territory of the Diocese of Rockford was a part of the Archdiocese of Chicago until 23 September, 1908. The city of Rockford has a population of 48,000; it is a manufacturing centre. The Right Reverend Peter James Muldoon, formerly Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago, was appointed the first Bishop of Rockford, and took possession of his see, 15 December, 1908. There are in the diocese (1911), 99 secular priests, 18 missions with attendance of 3850, 5 hospitals, 1 maternity home, 1 home for aged, and Mt. St. Mary's Academy for Girls (St. Charles) with an attendance of 84.
Offic. Catholic Directory
J. J. Flanagan.