Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Maximianopolis
|←Ven. Thomas Maxfield||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 10
|Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus→|
A titular see of Palestina Secunda, suffragan of Scythopolis. Its ancient name, Adad-Remmon, according to the Vulgate (according to the Hebrew, Hadad-Rimmon) is found in Zach., xii, 11: ". . .there shall be a great lamentation in Jerusalem like the lamentation of Adadremmon in the plain of Mageddon," an allusion to the death of Josias, King of Jerusalem, killed by the Pharaoh Nechao in the battle fought near this place (IV Kings, xxiii, 29; II Par. xxxv, 20-25). In the time of the so-called "Pilgrim of Bordeaux" (ed. Geyer, 19, 27) and of St. Jerome ("Comment. in Zachar.", ad cap. xii, 11; "Comment. In Oz.", 5), Adad-Remmon already bore the name of Maximianopolis. Three of its ancient bishops are known: Paul, in 325 (Gelzer, "Patrum Nicaenorum nomina", lxi)—not Maximus, as Le Quien gives it in "Oriens Christianus", III, 703; Megas, in 518, and Domnus, in 536 (Le Quien, op. cit., 703-06). Maximianopolis has resumed its ancient name of Rimmon, and is now the almost deserted little village of Roummaneh, nearly four miles to the south of Ledjun or Mageddo (see LEGIO).
GUÉRIN, Description de la Palestine: Samarie (Paris, 1875), II, 228-230; GELZER, Georgii Cyprii Descriptio orbis romani (Leipzig, 1890), 193-96; LEGENDRE in VIG., Dict. de la Bible, s.v. Adadremmon.