Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Nusco
|←Nuremberg||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 11
Diocese of Nusco
|Johannn Nepomuk von Nussbaum→|
Diocese in the province of Avellino, Italy, suffragan of Salerno, dates from the eleventh century. Among its bishops were
- Guido (1004);
- St. Amatus (1167), author of a history of the Normans in Apulia and Calabria;
- Roger (1198), who restored the cathedral;
- Cardinal Pietro Paolo Parisio (1538), who presided at the Council of Trent;
- Francesco Arcudio (1639), a Theatine;
- Fulgenzio Arminio Monforte (1669), an Augustinian.
In 1820 Montemartino was united to Nusco. St. John, a Benedictine (1084) was the first Bishop of Montemartino; forty of his successors are known. Nusco has 19 parishes, with 38,300 inhabitants, and 4 religious houses.
CAPPELLETTI, Le Chiese d'Italia, XX.