Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Oppido Mamertina
|←Gilles-Marie Oppenordt|| Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 11
Diocese of Oppido Mamertina
Diocese of Oppido Mamertina (Oppidensis)
Suffragan of Reggio Calabria, Italy, famous for its prolonged resistance to Roger (eleventh century). Bishop Stefano (1295) is the first prelate of whom there is mention. In 1472 the see was united to that of Gerace, under Bishop Athanasius Calceofilo, by whom the Greek Rite was abolished, although it remained in use in a few towns. In 1536 Oppido became again an independent see, under Bishop Pietro Andrea Ripanti; among other bishops were Antonio Cesconi (1609) and Giovanni Battista Montani (1632), who restored the cathedral and the episcopal palace; Bisanzio Fili (1696), who founded the seminary; Michele Caputo (1852), who was transferred to the See of Ariano, where it is suspected that he poisoned KingFerdinand II; eventually, he apostatized. Oppido has 19 parishes, with 28,000 inhabitants.
Cappelletti, Le Chiese d'Italia, vol. XXI.