Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Portoviejo

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

(PORTUS VETERIS).

A suffragan see of the Archdiocese of Quito, Republic of Ecuador. It was erected in 1871 and its jurisdiction extends over the political provinces of Manabi and Esmeraldas, with a Catholic population (1909) of 78,000 souls, and forty-six parishes. Besides the secular priests of the diocese, there are the following religious orders: Capuchins, in charge of the missions in the northern section of the Province of Esmeraldas; Oblates of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, engaged in secondary instruction. The religious orders of women are: Benedictines, Franciscans, and Sisters of Charity, all devoted to the education of girls. The Seminario Mayor is situtated at Portoviejo, the see of the diocese, and was organized in 1888. There are also several schools and colleges, prominent among which is the College of San José, conducted by the Oblates of the Sacred Heart. The present bishop is Mgr Juan Maria Riesa, a Dominican, whose consecration took place 19 Dec., 1907.

Annuaire Pontifical Catholique (Paris, 1911), s.v.

Julian Moreno-Lacalle.