Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/San Martino al Cimino
A prelature nullius in the territory of the Diocese of Viterbo, Province of Rome. The district is about 1840 feet above sea-level, on the western slope of Monte Fogliano in the Cimini mountains, amidst an extensive forest of chestnut trees. It is much frequented as a health resort. The principal dignitary of the collegiate chapter has the title of abbot, and his jurisdiction extends only over the commune of San Martino, which consists of only one parish. In early times it was a Benedictine abbey, first mentioned under Benedict VIII (eleventh century). In 1150 it was entrusted by Eugenius III to the Cistercians of St-Sulpice near Belley; in 1207 it came into the possession of the monks of Pontigny, who (under Abbot John, 1213-32) raised it to a state of great prosperity. After 1379 the abbots were always commendatory; in 1564 it was included in the mensa of St. Peter's chapter. In 1645 the castle and the abbey buildings were acquired by Olimpia Pamphili, sister of Innocent X, who established a still existing collegiate chapter. The Gothic church possesses architectural interest.
EGIDI in Riv. storica benedettina (1906-7). Concerning the church see FROTHINGHAM in American Journal of Archeology (1890), 299 sqq.