Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Frederick
FREDERICK, a city and county-seat of Frederick co., Md., on Carroll's creek, and on the Pennsylvania, the Baltimore and Ohio and the Frederick railroads, 62 miles W. by N. of Baltimore. Here are high schools, a convent, the State institution for the deaf and dumb, street railroads, electric lights. National and State banks, and several daily and weekly newspapers. The city has manufactories of coaches, leather, shoes, knit goods, shirt waists, palmetto, fiber brushes, tobacco, flour, etc. During the Civil War it was twice occupied by the Confederates. The second time, in 1864, by General Early, who forced the citizens to pay a ransom of $200,000. In 1862 Federal troops under General McClellan occupied the place. Pop. (1910) 10,411; (1920) 11,066.