HEIDELBERG (hī'dl-berG) , a town of Baden; on the left bank of the Neckar, here crossed by two bridges; in one of the loveliest districts of Germany. It is on a narrow strip between the river and the castlerock and Geisberg, spurs of the Königstuhl (1,850 feet); and chiefly consists of one main street and less important cross and paralled streets. The principal buildings are: The church of St. Peter; the church of the Holy Ghost; the castle, anciently the residence of the Electors Palatine; Heidelberg University (q. v.); the town house, etc. The castle, begun in the end of the 13th century, and exhibiting elaborate examples of early and late Renaissance architecture, is the most remarkable edifice in Heidelberg. It is now an ivy-clad ruin, but is carefully preserved from further decay. The principal industry is brewing. One of the greatest curiosities of the place is the Heidelberg tun, kept in a cellar under the castle. It is 36 feet in length, 26 in diameter, and capable of holding 800 hogsheads. Heidelberg is rich in public walks and fine views, that from the Königstuhl being of surpassing beauty. It was long the capital of the Palatinate, but was superseded by Mannheim in 1720. In 1622 Tilly captured and sacked the city, A similar fate overtook it in 1689 and 1693 at the hands of the French. Pop. about 56,000.