Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Missolonghi
MISSOLONGHI (-long'gē) (Mesolongion), a seaport town of Greece, on the N. shore of the Gulf of Patras. In 1821-1822, the Turks invested it for 3 months, and again in 1825-1826, when the garrison, reduced from 5,000 to 3,000, cut their way out, carrying with them a large number of women and children. There is a statue (1835) over the grave of Bozzaris, and another (1881) of Lord Byron, on the spot where his heart is interred. Pop. about 11,000.