Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Monroe (Michigan)
MONROE, a city and county-seat of Monroe co., Mich.; on the Raisin river, and on the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, Detroit and Toledo Shore and Père Marquette railroads; 40 miles S. W. of Detroit. It contains a public library, high school, St. Mary's Academy, electric lights, National and other banks, and several weekly newspapers. There is a large trade in glass-sand and grain. The city has foundries, machine shops, extensive nurseries, and tanneries, and large interests in lumber, grist, paper, woolen goods, plaster, etc. Here, after the battle of Raisin river, in 1813, between an American force and the English and Indians, several hundred American prisoners were massacred. Pop. (1910) 6,893; (1920) 11,573.