Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Tanganyika
TANGANYIKA (-yē'kä), a lake of Central Africa, to the S. of Lake Albert Nyanza. It extends from about lat. 3° 25' to 8° 40' S., and from Ion. 29° 20' to 32° 20' E. It is 420 miles long, has an average breadth of about 30 miles, and is 2,700 feet above the level of the sea. The basin in which it lies is inclosed by an almost continuous series of hills and mountains. It is fed by numerous rivers and streamlets, and discharges by the river Lukuga into the Kongo. There are several London Missionary Society stations on Tanganyika, and on the E. shore is the Arab town of Ujiji. A carriage road, 210 miles, runs to Nyassa. Tanganyika was discovered by Speke and Burton in 1858. Since the Peace Treaty of 1919 it belongs to the British post of the “Department of Tanganyika,” shared with Belgium. The lake was in the war zone in 1916-1918.