Constitution of Sri Lanka/Eighth Amendment
Section 1 Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution.
Section 2 Amendment of Article 33 of the Constitution of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
2. Article 33 of the Constitution of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka (hereinafter referred to as " the Constitution") is hereby amended by the insertion, immediately after paragraph (c) of that Article, of the following paragraph :
- "(cc) to appoint as President's Counsel, attorneys-at-law who have reached eminence in the profession and have maintained high standards of conduct and professional rectitude. Every President's Counsel appointed under this paragraph shall be entitled. to such privileges as were hitherto enjoyed by a Queen's Counsel; ".
Section 3 Amendment of Article 136 of the Constitution
3. Sub-paragraph (g) of paragraph (1) of Article 136 of the Constitution is hereby amended by the omission therefrom, of the words " and the appointment of senior attorneys-at- law".
Section 4 Insertion of Article 169a in the Constitution
4. The following Article is inserted immediately after Article 169, and shall have effect as Article 169A of the Constitution:-
- 169A (Provision relating to Queen's Counsel and Senior Attorneys-at-Law)
- (1) Every -
- (a) Queen's Counsel appointed prior to the coming into force of the Constitution ; and
- (b) Senior attorney-at-law appointed by the President after the coming into force of the constitution,
- (2) Every rule made under Article 136 relating. to the appointment of Senior attorneys-at-law shall, from the date on which this Article comes into force, be deemed to be rescinded.
- (3) Every reference in any written law to " Senior attorney-at-law" shall, from the date on which this Article comes into force, be deemed to include a reference to "President's Counsel."'.
- (1) Every -