Declaration of Independence of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
- Representing the free will of the Turkish Cypriot People; - Believing that all human beings, who are born free and equal, should live in freedom and equality;
- Having declared, in its belief, the right of the Turkish Cypriot People to self-determination, by its Resolution of 17 June 1983;
- Rejecting discrimination between human beings on grounds of race, national origin, language, religion or any other grounds; and rejecting, also, all forms of colonialism, racism, oppression and domination;
- Expressing the hope that peace and stability will prevail and that freedom and human rights will flourish not only in Cyprus, but also in the Eastern Mediterranean, the Middle East and the World at large;
- Believing that the two Peoples in Cyprus each has the right to live and govern itself in its own territory in peace and security, and has the right to preserve its own national identity.
- Firmly adhering to the view that these two Peoples, who are destined to co- exist side by side on the island, can and must find peaceful, just and durable solutions to the differences between them, through negotiations on the basis of equality;
- Firmly convinced that the proclamation of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus will not hinder but facilitate the re-establishment of the partnership between the two Peoples within a federal framework and will also facilitate the settlement of the problems between them;
- Earnestly hoping that negotiations will be carried out, on the basis of equality and under the auspices of the UN Secretary General, with a view to resolving, in a peaceful and conciliatory manner, all the outstanding issues between the two Peoples, and convinced that the proposed Summit Meeting would be useful in this regard;
And ACTING ON BEHALF OF THE TURKISH CYPRIOT PEOPLE, Approves the establishment of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and the Declaration of Independence.
Expressing the legitimate and irrepressible will of the Turkish Cypriot People... WE HEREBY DECLARE BEFORE THE WORLD AND BEFORE HISTORY THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE TURKISH REPUBLIC OF NORTHERN CYPRUS AS AN INDEPENDENT STATE.
On this historic day, we reiterate our gratitude to our Martyrs, who sacrificed their lives in order that the Turkish Cypriot people may never again be subjected to servitude under foreign domination and may live in dignity and freedom. May God's mercy be upon our Martyrs.