Executive Order 12858
Executive Order 12858 of August 4, 1993
Deficit Reduction Fund
By the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 1104 and 1105 of title 31, United States Code, it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Purpose.
- It is essential to guarantee that the net deficit reduction achieved by the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 is dedicated exclusively to reducing the deficit.
Sec. 2. Deficit Reduction Fund.
|(a)||Establishment of the Fund. There is established a separate account in the Treasury, known as the Deficit Reduction Fund, which shall receive the net deficit reduction achieved by the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 as called for in subsection (b) of this order.|
|(b)||Amounts in Fund. Beginning upon enactment of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, the Deficit Reduction Fund shall receive any increases in total revenues resulting from enactment of such Act on a daily basis. In addition, on a daily basis, the Secretary of the Treasury shall enter into such account an amount equivalent to the net deficit reduction achieved as a result of all spending reductions resulting from such Act.
The cumulative fiscal year amounts for the combination of all such revenue increases and spending reductions shall be equal to:
|(1) for fiscal year 1994, $ 60,292,000,000;
(2) for fiscal year 1995, $ 70,437,000,000;
(3) for fiscal year 1996, $ 92,061,000,000;
(4) for fiscal year 1997, $125,881,000,000;
(5) for fiscal year 1998, $146,939,000,000.
|Within 30 days of enactment of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, the foregoing amounts may be adjusted by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget to reflect the final scoring of such Act.|
|(c)||Status of Amounts in Fund.|
|(i)||The amounts in the Deficit Reduction Fund shall be used exclusively to redeem maturing debt obligations of the Treasury of the United States held by foreign governments in the amounts specified in subsection (b).|
|(ii)||The amounts in the Deficit Reduction Fund as set forth in subsection (b) that result from increases in total revenues and spending reductions shall not be available for new spending or to finance measures that increase the deficit for purposes of budget enforcement procedures under the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985 (2 U.S.C. 901-922).|
|(d)||Effect on Other Funds. Establishment of and transfers to the Deficit Reduction Fund shall not affect trust fund transfers that may be authorized or required by provisions of the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1993 or any other provision of law.|
Sec. 3. Requirement for the President To Report Annually on the Status of the Fund.
- The Director of the Office of Management and Budget shall include in the President's Budget transmitted under section 1105 of title 31, United States Code, information about the Deficit Reduction Fund, including a separate statement of amounts in and Federal debt redeemed by that Fund.
Sec. 4. Implementation.
- The Secretary of the Treasury and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget shall each take such actions as may be necessary, within their respective authorities, promptly to carry out this order.
Sec. 5. Effective Date.
- This order shall take effect upon enactment of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993.
Billing code 3195-01-P
- See Related:
- None Available
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).|