Executive Order 6359
Executive Order 6359 of October 25, 1933
Relating to Gold Recovered from Natural Deposits
By virtue of the authority vested in me by section 5(b) of the act of October 6, 1917, as amended by section 2 of the act of March 9, 1933, entitled "An Act to Provide Relief in the Existing National Emergency in Banking and for other Purposes", I, Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States of America, do declare that a period of national emergency exists, and by virtue of said authority and of all other authority vested in me, do hereby issue the following Executive order:
- The Executive order of August 29, 1933, relating to the sale and export of gold recovered from natural deposits, is hereby revoked: Provided, however, That the Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to sell in accordance therewith gold received on consignment for sale on or before the date of this Executive order.
- The United States mints and assay offices are hereby authorized, subject to such regulations as may from time to time be prescribed by the Secretary of the Treasury, to receive on consignment gold which the mint or assay office to which the gold is delivered is satisfied has been recovered from natural deposits in the United States or any place subject to the jurisdiction thereof.
- The Reconstruction Finance Corporation is authorized, subject to such regulations as may from time to time be prescribed by the Secretary of the Treasury, to acquire gold which has been received on consignment by a United States mint or assay office, and to hold, earmark for foreign account, export, or otherwise dispose of such gold.
- The Executive order of August 28, 1933, relating to the hoarding, export, and earmarking of gold coin, bullion, or currency and to transactions in foreign exchange, is hereby amended to permit, subject to such regulations as may from time to time be prescribed by the Secretary of the Treasury, the export of articles fabricated from gold.
- The Secretary of the Treasury is hereby authorized and empowered to issue such regulations as he may deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this Executive order.
- This Executive order and any regulations issued hereunder may be modified or revoked at any time.
- Executive Order 6260, August 28, 1933
- Executive Order 6261, August 29, 1933
- Supplemented by:
- Executive Order 6558, January 15, 1934
Revoked (in part) by:
- Executive Order 11825, December 31, 1974 [§§ 3,4]
- Revoked by:
- Executive Order 12553, February 25, 1986
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).|