Humphreys, Henry Noel (DNB00)
|←Humphreys, David||Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 28
Humphreys, Henry Noel
HUMPHREYS, HENRY NOEL (1810–1879), artist, naturalist, and numismatist, born at Birmingham on 4 Jan. 1810, was the son of James Humphreys of that town. He was educated at King Edward's School, Birmingham, and afterwards resided in Italy. He returned to England about 1840. Humphreys was a successful book-illustrator, especially of works of natural history, such as Westwood's 'British Butterflies.' He was also the author of some popular numismatic handbooks, useful in their day. He died at his house, 7 Westbourne Square, London, on 10 June 1879. The following are his principal productions:
- Illustrations for Westwood's 'British Butterflies,' 1841, 4to.
- Illustrations for Loudon's 'British Wild Flowers' , 4to.
- 'Ocean Gardens,' London, 1857, 8vo.
- 'River Gardens,' London,1857,sq.8vo.
- 'The Butterfly Vivarium,' London, 1858, 8vo.
- 'The Genera and Species of British Butterflies,' London , 8vo.
- 'The Genera of British Moths,' London , 8vo.
- 'The Coins of England,' 1846, 8vo.
- 'The Coinage of the British Empire,' London, 1854, 4to.
- 'The Coin-Collector's Manual,' 2 vols (Bohn's Scientific Library), 1847, &c.
- 'Ancient Coins and Medals' (with facsimiles), London, 1850, 4to.
- 'Illuminated Illustrations of Froissart,' 1844, &c., 4to.
- 'The Illuminated Books of the Middle Ages,' 1844-9, fol. (with Owen Jones).
- 'The Art of Illumination and Missal Painting,'1849,8vo.
- 'The Origin and Progress of Art of Writing,' 1853,4to.
- 'A History of the Art of Printing,' 1867, fol.
- 'Stories by an Archæologist,' 1856, 8vo.
[Obituary by J. O. Westwood in Academy for 21 June 1879, p.550; Times, 16 June 1879, p. 12, col. 4; Athenæum, 21 June 1879, p. 800; Brit. Mus. Cat.]