Index to Government Orders
|Index to Government Orders in force on 31 Dec 1991
|Note: The words "[First page ends here]" etc are not included in the original.
Index to Government Orders
in force on 31st December 1991
The Powers and their Exercise
A - K
Published by Authority
[First page ends here]
© Crown Copyright 1995
HMSO publications are available from:
HMSO Publications Centre
(Mail, fax and telephone orders only)
PO Box 276, London, SW8 5DT
Telephone orders 0171-873 9090
General enquiries 0171-873 0011
(queuing system in operation for both numbers)
Fax orders 0171-873 8200
49 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6HB
(counter service only)
0171-873 0011 Fax 0171-873 1326
68-69 Bull Street, Birmingham, B4 6AD
0121-236 9696 Fax 0121-236 9699
33 Wine Street, Bristol, BS1 2BQ
0117 9264306 Fax 0117 9294515
9-21 Princess Street, Manchester, M60 8AS
0161-834 7201 Fax 0161-833 0634
16 Arthur Street, Belfast, BT1 4GD
01232 238451 Fax 01232 235401
71 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH3 9AZ
0131-228 4181 Fax 0131-229 2734
HMSO's Accredited Agents
(see Yellow Pages)
And through good booksellers
Price for the two volumes £215 net
Printed by HMSO Print Centre
Dd 5063038 C6 2/95 (047719)
[Second page ends here]
Table of Statutes .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. i
Table of Abbreviations .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. cclx
INDEX TO GOVERNMENT ORDERS (A-K) .. .. .. .. .. .. 1
INDEX TO GOVERNMENT ORDERS (L-Z) .. .. .. .. .. .. 945
[Third page ends here and fourth page is blank]
1. Thirty-fifth edition of a work that was first published in 1891 under the title Index to the Statutory Rules and Orders in Force, and was between 1951 and 1960 called Guide to Government Orders. It records the powers given by Act of Parliament to the Executive to make orders, rules, regulations and other subordinate legislation in force on 31st December 1991, and shows whether those powers have been exercised by general instrument and, if so, by what instrument or instruments. It is prepared under the direction of the Statute Law Committee.
2. In the preliminary green pages there are two Tables. The Table of Statutes lists the Acts and Measures and their sections that confer powers to make subordinate legislation, and shows the subject headings under which those powers or other relevant statutory provisions are indexed. In the few cases where an item of subordinate legislation confers power to make further subordinate legislation, that item is entered after the year's Acts and Measures. Next comes the Table of Abbreviations.
The body of the Index
3. The body of the Index (the white pages) records the powers and their exercise. Under the main subject-headings (which appear in alphabetical order) there are brief summaries of all powers to make subordinate legislation which have been conferred by Public General Acts, or by Church Assembly or General Synod Measures, or (in a few cases) by subordinate legislation. Powers conferred by local Acts, and in force on that date, are also included in many cases. Particulars are given of the enactment conferring the power and of the effect of any subsequent enactment which has extended or modified it. Particulars of the authorities (e.g. Ministers, etc.) responsible for subordinate legislation, of the relevant parliamentary control, and of the commencement of Acts by order can be found under a preliminary sub-heading of many headings. Where any such particulars do not appear in this way they will be found, as appropriate, under the entries for each individual power. With a view to facilitating the preparation of the Index, and limiting its bulk, the policy is now to keep the summaries of powers as short as practicable.
4. Under each power there is a list of the general statutory instruments made in exercise of it and in force on 31st December 1991, or else a statement that-
- (a) instruments under it, being classified as local, are not indexed✻
- (b) instruments under it, not being statutory instruments, are not indexed, or
- (c) the power has not yet been exercised, or no exercise is in operation.
There are also some instruments made under the royal prerogative.
✻A classified list of the local instruments appears at the back of each Annual Edition of Statutory Instruments
[Fifth page ends here]
General instruments are published annually in the bound edition of Statutory Instruments.
Copies of instruments, both general and local, issued recently by HMSO may be obtained from that office (see addresses on reverse of title page). Copies of local instruments unobtainable from HMSO (from 1922 onwards✻) may be obtained at prevailing prices either from the Statutory Publications Office, America House, 6 Spring Gardens, London SW1A 2BP, or (up to 1957) from the Head of Search Department, Public Record Office, Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1LR, or the British Library, Official Publications and Social Sciences Service, Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3DG.
5. Where a power has been repealed and re-enacted, with a saving for existing instruments, the particulars given for the power are those of the later enactment only. Instruments so saved are shown under that power as if made in exercise of it, notwithstanding that they are of an earlier date than the power.
6. Correspondence about the work may be addressed to the Editor, Statutory Publications Office, America House, 6 Spring Gardens, London SW1A 2BP.
✻There are, unfortunately, gaps in these collections, notably for the years 1942, 1950, 1951 and up to no. 940 of 1952
[Sixth page ends here and seventh and eighth pages are blank]
|This file is licensed under the United Kingdom Open Government Licence v1.0.