Jeanne D'Arc: her life and death
|Jeanne D'Arc: her life and death (1896)
|Margaret Oliphant about Jeanne d'Arc, and was described as a "vigorous popular presentation, plenty of domestic sentiment and eloquent word-painting, but a deficiency in real historical grasp of the subject." (Tait, 1897)Jeanne d'Arc: Her Life and Death. (Heroes of the Nations) was written in 1896 by Scottish novellist and historical writer,|
TO COUSIN ANNIE (MRS. HARRY COGHILL)
This Book Is Inscribed In Love Of Our Common Heroine
And In Remembrance Of Long And Faithful
Affection And Friendship
The original book for this text was published as a volume in a series "Heroes of the Nations," edited by Evelyn Abbot, M.H., Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford, and published by G.P. Putnam's Sons The Knickerbocker Press in 1896. The title material includes the note:
Facta Ducis Vivent, Operosaque
Gloria Rerum-Ovid, In Liviam, 265.
The Hero's Deeds and Hard-Won
Fame Shall Live
- Chapter I — France In The Fifteenth Century. 1412 – 1423.
- Chapter II — Domremy And Vaucouleurs. 1424 – 1429.
- Chapter III — Before The King. February – April, 1429.
- Chapter IV — The Relief Of Orleans. May 1 – 8, 1429.
- Chapter V — The Campaign Of The Loire. June, July, 1429.
- Chapter VI — The Coronation. July 17, 1429.
- Chapter VII — The Second Period. 1429 – 1430.
- Chapter VIII — Defeat And Discouragement. Autumn, 1429.
- Chapter IX — Compiègne. 1430.
- Chapter X — The Captive. May, 1430 – January, 1431.
- Chapter XI — The Judges. 1431.
- Chapter XII — Before The Trial. Lent, 1431.
- Chapter XIII — The Public Examination. February, 1431.
- Chapter XIV — The Examination In Prison. Lent, 1431.
- Chapter XV — Re-Examination. March – May, 1431.
- Chapter XVI — The Abjuration. May 24, 1431.
- Chapter XVII — The Sacrifice. May 31, 1431.
- Chapter XVIII — After.
- Tait, James. Jeanne d'Arc: Her Life and Death. (Heroes of the Nations.) by Oliphant. The English Historical Review, Vol. 12, No. 47. (July, 1897), p. 559.
This work was published before January 1, 1923, and is in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago.