Kingdom of Heaven (Thompson)
- O WORLD invisible, we view thee,
- O World intangible, we touch thee,
- O World unknowable, we know thee,
- Inapprehensible, we clutch thee!
- Does the fish soar to find the ocean,
- The eagle plunge to find the air-
- That we ask of the stars in motion
- If they have rumour of thee there?
- Not where the wheeling systems darken,
- And our benumbed conceiving soars!-
- The drift of pinions, would we hearken,
- Beats at our own clay-shuttered doors.
- The angels keep their ancient places; -
- Turn but a stone, but start with a wing!
- ‘Tis ye, ‘tis your estranged faces,
- That miss the many-splendour thing.
- But(when so sad thou canst not sadder)
- Cry; -and upon thy so sore loss
- Shall shine the traffic of Jacob’s ladder
- Pitched betwixt Heaven and Charing Cross
- Yea, in the night, my Soul, my daughter,
- Cry; -clinging Heaven by the hems;
- And lo, Christ walking on the water
- Not of Gennesareth, but Thames!
|This work published before January 1, 1923 is in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago.|