Be it enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
1.—(1) For sections 112 to 112C of the [1925 c. 21.] Land Registration Act 1925 (which give restricted rights of inspection etc.) there shall be substituted—
"112. — (1) Any person may, subject to such conditions as may be prescribed and on payment of any fee payable, inspect and make copies of and extracts from—
(a) entries on the register, and
(b) documents referred to in the register which are in the custody of the registrar (other than leases or charges or copies of leases or charges).
(2) Documents in the custody of the registrar relating to any land or charge but not falling within subsection (1)(b) of this section may be inspected, and copies of and extracts from them may be made—
(a) as of right, in such cases as may be prescribed, and
(b) at the discretion of the registrar, in any other case, but subject in all cases to such conditions as may be prescribed and on payment of any fee payable.
(3) References in this section to documents include references to things kept otherwise than in documentary form.
(2) The following enactments shall cease to have effect—
(g) paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 to the [1987 c. 46.] Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987 (inspection of register in connection with exercise of power to vest former diplomatic or consular premises in the Secretary of State).
2.The enactments specified in the Schedule to this Act are hereby repealed to the extent specified in the third column of that Schedule.
Short title, commencement and extent.
3.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Land Registration Act 1988.
(2) This Act shall come into force on such day as the Lord Chancellor may by order made by statutory instrument appoint.
(3) This Act, except the repeal in Schedule 2 to the [1958 c. 51.] Public Records Act 1958, does not extend to Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Acts of the Parliament of the United Kingdom The United Kingdom of Great Britain (1707–1800) The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1801–1922) The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (1922 to date)