The Gateless Gate/Learning Is Not The Path
|←This Mind Is Not Buddha||The Gateless Gate (1228) by , translated by Nyogen Senzaki and Paul Reps
34. Learning Is Not the Path
|Koan number 34 out of 49 in this work (published 1228, translated 1934)|
Nansen said: "Mind is not Buddha. Learning is not the path."
- Mumon’s comment: Nansen was getting old and forgot to be ashamed. He spoke out with bad breath and exposed the scandal of his own home. However, there are few who appreciate his kindness.
- When the sky is clear the sun appears,
- When the earth is parched rain will fall.
- He opened his heart fully and spoke out,
- But it was useless to talk to pigs and fish.