Mishnah/Seder Zeraim/Tractate Berakhot/Chapter 6/2
Seder Zeraim, Tractate Berakhot: Chapter 6, Mishnah 2
Having discussed the different blessings before food, the Mishnah now turns to discuss what happens if one makes a mistake by saying the wrong blessing for what he or she is eating.
- ברך על פירות האילן "בורא פרי האדמה" – יצא.
- וְעל פירות הארץ "בורא פרי העץ" – לֹא יצא.
- וְעל כולם אם אמר:
- "שהכל נהיה בדברו" – יצא.
- If one blessed for the fruits of the trees with "...Who creates the fruit from the fruit of the ground" - He has fulfilled his obligation.
- But if he blessed for the fruits of the ground "...Who creates the fruit of the trees" - He has not fulfilled his obligation.
- But for all, if he said:
- "For everything exists by God's word" - He has fulfilled his obligation.
Finished: I.e. he or she has fulfilled the obligation to bless for the food, because the trees that the fruit grow on are from the ground.
Not finished: I.e. he or she has not fulfilled the obligation to bless for the food, because fruits of the ground have no connection to trees.
For all: This all-inclusive blessing can be used for any food in the event the person cannot determine what blessing is appropriate to say.