[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Dict. of Architecture; Graves's Dict. of Artists; Goodwin's Rural Architecture; Gent. Mag. 1827 pt. ii. pp. 201–2, 1835 p. 659; Architectural Magazine, 1834 p. 136, 1835 p. 479; Glew's Walsall, p. 20; Butterworth's Stockport, pp. 39, 40; Axon's Annals of Manchester, pp. 166, 172; Cornish's Manchester, pp. 17, 48, 49; Cornish's Birmingham, p. 37; Jewitt's Derby, pp. 38, 51; Parson's Leeds, i. 229; Reeves's West Bromwich, pp. 14, 15; Baines's Lancaster, 1836, ii. 576; Royal Academy Exhibition Catalogues; Univ. Cat. of Books on Art; Brit. Mus. Cat. of Printed Books.]
Bilston, and a portion of St. Michael's, Southampton. He designed the town hall and assembly rooms, Manchester, built between 1822 and 1825, the interior of which was regarded as his chef d'œuvre, and was engraved as a frontispiece to vol. ii. of his ‘Rural Architecture.’ Since the erection (1869–77) of the New Town Hall, by Mr. A. Waterhouse, R.A., Goodwin's building in King Street has been used as the Free Reference Library. Within the last few years the removal of the steps from the street to the portico (rendered advisable by the increased traffic) has rather disfigured the approach to the building. The town hall and assembly rooms at Macclesfield were erected under his direction between 1823 and 1824, and in 1823 he commenced the county gaol at Derby, one of the best and most commodious prisons in the kingdom at the time. He erected the market at Leeds, 1824–7, and that at Salford, Manchester, 1825. The exchange at Bradford was built from his designs, 1829. Among his private works were Lissadell, co. Sligo, for Sir R. Gore Booth, bart., views of which are engraved in his ‘Rural Architecture;’ an Italian villa for Henry Gore Booth, esq., Cullamore, near Lissadell; a lodge for G. Dodwell, esq., Sligo; some works for E. J. Cooper, esq., M.P., at Markree, co. Sligo; lodge, Demstall Hall, Staffordshire, for H. Hordern, esq.; and a parsonage in the Grecian style for the Rev. W. Leigh at Bilston. In almost every competition for a building of any importance, drawings were sent in by Goodwin, in the preparation of which he spared no expense. He designed a scheme for an extensive cemetery in the vicinity of the metropolis, with buildings from the best examples in Athens, and exhibited his drawings gratuitously in an office taken for the purpose in Parliament Street. In 1833 his plans for the new House of Commons were pronounced the best of those sent in, and were ordered by the committee to be printed, and in 1824 a design for an ‘Intended Suspension Bridge at Horseferry Road, projected by Capt. S. Browne, R.N., and F. Goodwin, Architect and Engineer,’ was approved by the provisional committee. In 1834 he was at Belfast preparing designs for additions to the college, including a museum, and also for baths in Dublin, but these were never executed. He died suddenly of apoplexy on 30 Aug. 1835 at his residence, 21 King Street, Portman Square, while engaged on a set of designs for the new houses of parliament, and was buried in Kensal Green cemetery. He published: 1. ‘Plans, &c., of the New House of Commons,’ 1833. 2. ‘Domestic Architecture,’ 1st ser., 1833; 2nd ser., 1834. A second edition of the work appeared in 1835 under the title of ‘Rural Architecture,’ with supplements to each series entitled ‘Cottage Architecture.’
GOODWIN, GEORGE (fl. 1620), Latin verse writer, was the author of ‘Melissa religionis pontificæ ejusdemque apotrope; elegiis decem.’ Lond. 1620, 4to, dedicated to Sir Robert Naunton. An English translation, by John Vicars, appeared under the title of ‘Babel's Balme, or the Honeycombe of Rome's Religion, with a neat Draining and Straining out of the Rammish Honey thereof: sung in Tenne most elegant Elegies in Latine by that most worthy Christian Satyrist, Master George Goodwinne, and translated into ten English Satyres by the Muses' most unworthy eccho John Vicars,’ Lond. 1624, 4to. Goodwin was also author of another set of verses, which exist only in the form of a translation by Joshua Sylvester, entitled ‘Automachia, or the Self-conflict of a Christian, from the Latin of Mr. George Goodwin’ (1633?).[Brit. Mus. Libr. and Bodl. Libr. Catalogues.]
GOODWIN, JAMES IGNATIUS (1603?–1667), jesuit, born in Somersetshire in or about 1603, after making his humanity course at St. Omer, was sent in 1621 for his higher course to the English College of the jesuits at Valladolid. He was professed of the four vows 25 March 1645. For twenty years (1631–51) he served the missions in the ‘residence of St. Stanislas,’ which included Devonshire and Cornwall, and subsequently he was appointed professor of moral theology and controversy at Liège. Returning to this country he died in London on 26 Nov. 1667.
He wrote: 1. ‘Lapis Lydius Controversiarum modernarum Catholicos inter et Acatholicos,’ Liège, 1656, 24mo, pp. 466. 2. ‘Pia Exercitatio Divini Amoris,’ Liège, 1656, 12mo.[Foley's Records, v. 972, vii. 306; Oliver's Jesuit Collections, p. 105; Oliver's Catholic