NOTES TO SURREY.
1. Addington.—This small church having been new faced in 1848, when the porch was erected, and the interior also renovated, the old features of the exterior are generally obliterated. It consists of chancel, nave, south aisle with a porch, a vestry of uncertain date on the northern side of the chancel, and a square west tower with a shingled cap. The chancel, nave, and tower seem to be Norm., or at least Tr. Norm. In the east end are three very small round-headed windows, the central the highest, and there are traces of another above them. In the south wall of the chancel appears the frame of a similar window, closed; in the eastern part of the same wall is a large single-light E.E. one, and in the western portion is an ogée-headed Dec., low side-window, below an older. Of the two engaged and the two free piers, half are E.E., the others later. Brasses: Tho. Hattecliff, 1540; John Leigh, Esq. and wife Isabell (Hardy) 1509 (?) and 1544; also in the chancel a large monument to Leghs, of the end of the sixteenth century. It will be observed, that the above notice of the sepulchral memorials differs from that copied below.
In this church are stated to have been, Brasses: John Legh and wife, 1479; a daughter of John Legh, 1481; and stone effigies of John Leigh and wife, 1544. (Manning and Bray's History of Surrey.) A charter of Rich., Bp. of Winchester from 3 August, 1174 to 22 December, 1188, names the church of Addington together with the chapel of All Saints, "ecclesiam de Edintone cum capella Omnium Sanctorum;" but no clue is afforded to the locality of the latter. (Stapleton's Liber de Antiquis Legibus, v.)
2. Albury.—The ancient church of this parish comprises chancel, central tower, south transept, nave, south aisle, and north porch. The chancel is E.E. The tower is Norm., with
- N. B. The future references to this work will be simply M. & B.