Page:1930 QLD Royal Commission into Racing Report.djvu/21

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page needs to be proofread.


21 This sale was dulyjcompleted, and on~the 14th December, 1916, by registered transfer No. 678909, Messrs. Nathan and Wren became registered proprietors in fee-simple as tenants in common of the said 38 acres 2 roods 11-52 perches. As a result of various small transactions, this area was increased by- Messrs. Nathan and Wren to 39 acres roods 24-62 perches, for which area new deeds of grant Nos. 110016 and 110015 for undivided moieties as tenants in common were issued to them respectively in 1922. They subsequently sold small portions, and now hold the balance, 39 acres roods 7*11 perches, in undivided moieties as tenants in common in fee, free from incumbrances, under certificates of title Nos. 334044 and 334043. By the Agreement of 17th April 1923 already referred to, as varied by the subsequent Agreement of 6th December, 1929, also already referred to, this land is in process of being sold, together with the Deagon course and the good- will of the business previously carried on by the vendors, to The Brisbane Amateur Turf Club, for the sum of £450,000, payable by a deposit of £10,000 and by equal monthly instalments of £2,000, the balance of the purchase money being payable on or before the 1st March, 1940. Up to 30th June, 1929, a total of £161,110 of this purchase money had been paid, leaving a balance of £288,890 still owing. Site and Formation of Track. — Originally, this site was a swamp subject Description to some extent to tidal influences. Portion of this swamp was filled in, partly with logs but mainly with sandstone and rubble, to form the foundation of the racing track. On such a foundation it would be impossible to grow grass. Part of the swamp still remains inside the track. The stone foundation is covered with from three to four inches of loose sand, which forms the running surface. The track thus formed needs constant inspection and attention to prevent accidents, as small subsidences occasionally occur, requiring repair of the foundation itself and the spreading of more sand. The sand surface is kept as far as possible at a uniform depth of three to four inches. If this depth is not maintained, injury to the horses, by jarring on the underlying stone, is probable. In the above features the Albion Park Racecourse is unique in Australia. There is no separate training track, the outer parts of the course proper being used for that purpose. The length of the track, measured close to the rails, is 6 furlongs Length and 19 feet 6 inches. " Width - Its width varies considerably. The maximum width — 92 feet 6 inches — is found on the Eastern side of the track. Thence the track narrows to 58 feet 4 inches at the beginning of the turn into the straight. As this turn approaches the straight, the track widens to 82 feet 6 inches. The straight, which is a little less than 1 furlong in length, narrows to 64 feet at the winning-post. The minimum width is 43 feet, at the back of the course. All the turns are sharp. The first turn out of the straight is a curve curves. of 5 chains radius. This is followed by a curve of 4 chains 20 links. The curve out of the back, stretch is 3 chains ; and, finally, a curve of 3 chains 70 links leads into the straight.