Page:A Compendium of Irish Biography.djvu/568

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
WAL
WAL
 


of many that he should appear before his Majesty in the semi-military apparel he had worn during the siege. Sir Godfrey Kueller painted his portrait for the King; a grant of £5,000 (never paid, apparently) was made by Parliament, in consideration of his heavy expenses and losses; he was designated to the bishopric of Derry, was entertained by the Irish Society, and received the thanks of the House of Commons. In September he published his famous True Account of the Siege of Londonderry, the statements in which were afterwards re-asserted in the publication of his Vindication of the True Account. There appears to have been considerable bitterness amongst the defenders regarding the statements given to the world of the events of the siege. Quite a number of True Accounts and Answers appeared, and in the end both inhabitants and leaders in the defence considered themselves very negligently treated by Government. [See Cairnes, David, p. 67.] Walker returned to Ireland in the beginning of 1690, receiving at Oxford, on his way, the degree of Doctor in Divinity. When William III. landed at Belfast in June, Walker presented him with a congratulatory address in the name of the Ulster clergy. He accompanied William in his march southward, on the way being confirmed in the bishopric of Derry. On 12th July, in the early part of the battle of the Boyne, he crossed the river with one of the Enniskillen regiments, fell mortally wounded, and was interred on the battle-field. After several years, and at his widow's desire, his body was exhumed by a faithful servant who had accompanied him into the fight, and deposited within the church at Castlecaulfield, where a tasteful monument marks his resting-place. In 1838 his remains and those of his wife were placed in new coffins. It was not until 1703 that his son received a pension of £200 per annum from the Irish Parliament, terminated in 1717 by the grant of 2,000. In 1828 the monument to his memory on the walls of Londonderry was completed. Macaulay says: "On the summit is the statue of Walker, such as when, in the last and most terrible emergency, his eloquence raised the fainting courage of his brethren. In one hand he grasps a Bible; the other pointing down the river, seems to direct the eyes of his famished audience to the English topmasts in the distant bay." The likeness appended to a memoir in the Ulster Journal of Archæology, vol. ii., represents Walker as a noblelooking man. 11(2) 223 318 337 347†

Walker, John, Rev., was born about 1767. He entered Trinity College, Dublin; was a scholar in 1788; B.A. in 1790; a fellow in 1791; M.A. in 1793; and B.D. in 1800. On the 8th of October 1804 he informed the Provost that his religious opinions had undergone a change and that it was impossible for him any longer to exercise his functions as a minister of the Establishment. He proposed to resign his preferments in the College; but the Provost thought it his duty to expel him. He was followed by a number of disciples, who met in a chapel in Staffordstreet, Dublin, where he preached the strongest Calvinistic doctrines. He ultimately removed to a wider field of labour in London. His followers—styled "Walkerites," "Separatists," and by themselves "The Church of God"—possessed sufficient influence to procure the passage of an Act of Parliament exempting them from the taking of oaths. The Rev. John Walker wrote, in a pamphlet enunciating his opinions: "It is contrary to the nature and laws of Christ's kingdom, that his disciples should acknowledge the state religion as theirs, or hold any connexion with the religious establishment of the country." The Walkerites appear to have rigidly forbidden any common worship, or even conversation on religious topics, with those not in their communion; yet at one time they invited controversy with opponents at the conclusion of their services. At another it was the custom of the congregation to "salute one another with a holy kiss." John Walker was an excellent classical scholar, and edited Livy (1797), Euclid (1808), Lucian (1822), Geometry, Trigonometry (1844), and other works. Shortly before his death the Board of Trinity College, to make up for the illiberality of their predecessors, granted him an allowance of £600 a year. He died in Dublin, 25th October 1833, aged 66. In Blunts' Dictionary of Sects, his followers are described as "an Irish sect of Sandemanians." Walker's Essays and Correspondence, in 2 vols., 8vo, were published in London in 1838. 16 110† 146

Walker, Joseph Cooper, author of The Historical Memoirs of the Bards and Music of Ireland, and of the Historical Essay on the Dress, Armour, and Weapons of the Irish, was born in the County of Dublin about 1762, and was educated by Dr. Ball. Ill health obliged him to visit Italy, where he devoted himself to the study of Italian literature, and his valuable works above mentioned are disfigured by a superabundance of Italian quotations. He died at St. Valerie, near Bray, 12th April, 1810, aged48. 233 349

544