than to name the valuable early editions of the works of Aiguino, Aron, Boethius, Gaforius, Listenius, Morley, Ornithoparcui, Playford, Simpson, Vicentino, Zacconi and Zarlino, which are to be found in this collection. The library is only accessible to members of the society, but students desirous of consulting particular works find little or no difficulty in the way; the present librarian is Mr. W. H. Husk, from whose interest- ing remarks, contained in the preface to the cata- logue this notice has been chiefly compiled.
d. South Kensington Museum. The library of this Museum contains & useful collection of works onmusic of recentdate, several little-known German operas, published by Simrock, the original MS. scores of Mendelssohn's Psalm, ' Hear my Prayer ' and of Bishop's ' Legends of the Rhine,' and a small collection of musical instruments and apparatus, including a glass Harmonica invented by Benjamin Franklin, and a Spinet constructed by T. Hitchcock in the latter half of the 1 7th century. It also contains more than 300 volumes of printed and MS. music (chiefly old Italian), as well as treatises etc. from the library* of the Musical Union, which were presented by Mr. Ella. There is a good printed catalogue of the whole collection.
e. Lambeth. The Archiepiscopal library con- tains many tine Psalters, Missals and Breviaries, both printed and MS. ; a good collection of early editions of psalm and hymn books ; MS. treatises by Chelle and Otteby ; a MS. volume of English, French and Italian songs with lute accompani- ment (written in tablature), containing composi- tions by Charles and Edward Coleman, Alphonso Marsh, Matthew Locke and John Gulgrum, and an explanation of the tablature ; a MS. volume of harpsichord music (dances and airs) by R. Ayleward and others ; a copy of Tye's curious ' Acts of the Apostles ' ; and a MS. volume con- taining the treble part of services and anthems by Tallis, Parsons, Byrd, Tomkins, Gibbons, Munday, Portman, Strogers, Morley, and many anonymous compositions.
/. The Madrigal Society. This Society pos- sesses a valuable collection of more than 300 madrigals, anthems, etc., comprising works by more than 100 composers, principally of the English and Italian schools.
g. The Philharmonic Society. This library dates from the formation of the Society in 1813. It contains all the parts of the principal works of the classical composers necessary for an or- chestra, and many full scores and MSS. of unique interest. Amongst the autographs may be men- tioned three of Haydn's grand Symphonies ; Beethoven's dedication to the Society of his gth Symphony ; a MS. symphony by Cherubini ; Mendelssohn's Symphony in ('No. XIII.' known as 'No. I.'), dedicated to the Society; also Melusina, the Trumpet Overture, and the original setting of the scena ' Infelice,' with violin obligato all three with notes or alterations by himself; also original scores by Cipriani Potter, Ries, dementi, Spohr, and other composers'.
h. Westminster Abbey. The Chapter library
��contains a collection of music (chiefly in MS.) which comprises works of about 100 composers. Amongst the MSS. the following are worthy of mention : an oratorio (' Judith ') by Dr. Arne, in full score ; three oratorios (' Jephthah,' ' The Judgment of Solomon,' and 'La Santissima Vergine ') by Carissimi ; a Mass (a 5) by Ga- brielli; a Kyrie (a 4, with accompaniment of strings) by Leo; motets and litanies byBassani; two masses and psalms by Pergolese ; a masque by Dr. Blow ; ' Diocletian,' by H. Purcell ; a small book containing French chansons by Cam- bert, le Camus, Bastido, Farinel, Lalande, etc. ; psalms by Colonna ; a remarkably fine anony- mous Te Deum of considerable length, scored for strings, trumpets and drums ; and many other works, chiefly by Italian composers. There is also a fine collection of early printed madrigals, both English and Italian, published between the years 1559 and 1695. There is an inadequate MS. catalogue.
i. The Chapel Royal, St. James's, contains a small collection of part-books and scores (both MS. and printed) of services and anthems which have been in use by the choir for the last century and a half. There is nothing of great rarity in the collection: it consists principally of well- known works of the English School.
MANCHESTEB. In the Chetham library is pre- served a collection of nearly 4000 proclamations, broadsides, ballads and poems, accumulated by and presented to the library by J. O. llalli well, Esq. Amongst these will be found the music of many old popular songs ranging through the l6th, 1 7th, and iSth centuries, and containing songs, catches, odes, etc., by Purcell, Eccles, Leve- ridge, Courteville, Croft, Carey, Weldon and Pe- pusch, and a large collection of single sheet songs with music, published between 1680 and 1740. Many of the songs in this collection were intro- duced into operas for special occasions, and are therefore not to be found in the printed editions. Mr. Halliwell has prepared and printed a cata- logue of this collection for private circulation.
OSCOTT, St. Mary's College. The library contains a collection of masses, sequences, offer- tories, psalms, hymns, responses, etc., in 7 volumes, by Palestrina ; masses by Alfieri, and unpublished MSS. by Guglielmi, Alfieri, Morales, Zingarelli, Marotti, Festa, Rovalli, Cascolini, Bollofli, Fioravanti, and Borroni.
OXFORD, a. The Bodleian library. This li- brary has received additions of music since the year 1602. In 1759 and 1761 music began to be received from Stationers' Hall, which was allowed to accumulate until, in the present century, it was arranged and bound up in some 300 or 400 volumes. In 1801 a large collection of both MS. and printed music was bequeathed by the Rev. O. Wight. It comprises 190 volumes of MS. anthems, etc., by Arnold, Boyce, Blow, Croft, Greene, Purcell, etc. ; a large number of works by Drs. W. and P. Hayes, and both early Eng- lish and Italian madrigals and motets. In 1856, valuable MS. madrigals were purchased for the library, and since then the collection has been