England is as yet the only country which has adopted a systematic method of educating bandsmen and bandmasters, and the great improvement both in the moral conduct and the efficiency of the men which has taken place since the foundation of Kneller Hall cannot be too warmly welcomed. By Colonel Whitmore's efforts, and the enlightened sanction of H.R.H. the Commander-in-Chief, uniformity in instruments and in pitch has been obtained, and a general consolidation of the military music of the country brought about which is highly desirable. A bandmaster has now a recognised position in the army, and a fixed salary of £100 a year in addition to his regimental pay. The cost of this salary is still borne by the private purses of the officers, which is the only important anomaly remaining to be rectified.
bandsmen, the second class—160 in all. Lads are admitted at 15. Adults are either outsiders or former pupils, who, after having been bandsmen, develope qualities fitting them for farther education as bandmasters. Both lads and men are taken into the school as vacancies occur, on the recommendation of the commanding officers of the regiments. A supply of the former is obtained from the Chelsea Hospital, the Royal Hibernian Military School, Dublin, the Metropolitan Poor Law Schools, etc. General instruction is given by the Normal schoolmaster, and there is a noble chapel in which service is regularly performed.
[ G. ]
[ G. ]
KNYVETT, Charles, descended from an ancient Norfolk family, was one of the principal alto singers at the Commemoration of Handel in 1784; he was also engaged at the Concert of Ancient Music. He was appointed a gentleman of the Chapel Royal, Nov. 6, 1786. In 1791 he, in conjunction with Samuel Harrison, established the Vocal Concerts, which they carried on until 1794. On July 25, 1796, he was appointed an organist of the Chapel Royal, and a few years later resigned his former post. He died in 1822.
His elder son, Charles, was born 1773. He was placed for singing under Mr. (afterwards Sir) William Parsons, and for the organ and piano under Samuel Webbe. In 1801 he joined his younger brother William, Greatorex, and Bartleman, in reviving the Vocal Concerts. In 1802 he was chosen organist of St. George's, Hanover Square. Besides this he taught the pianoforte and thorough bass, and published a Selection of Psalm Tunes, 1823. He died, after many years of retirement, Nov. 2, 1852.
William, the younger son of Charles the elder, was born April 11, 1779. In 1788 he sang in the treble chorus at the Concert of Ancient Music, and in 1795 appeared there as principal alto. In 1797 he was appointed gentleman of the Chapel Royal, and soon afterwards a lay-vicar of Westminster. In 1802 be succeeded Dr. Arnold as one of the composers of the Chapel Royal. For upwards of 40 years he was principal alto at the best London concerts and all the provincial festivals, being greatly admired for the beauty of his voice and his finished style of singing, particularly in part music. Callcott's glee 'With sighs, sweet rose,' was composed expressly for him. In 1832 he became conductor of the Concert of Ancient Music, which office he resigned in 1840. He conducted the Birmingham Festivals from 1834 to 1843, and the York Festival of 1835. He was the composer of several pleasing glees one of which, 'When the fair rose,' gained a prize at the Harmonic Society in 1800—and some songs, and wrote anthems for the coronations of George IV. and Queen Victoria. He died Nov. 17, 1856.Deborah, second wife of William Knyvett, and niece of Mrs. Travis, one of the Lancashire chorus singers engaged at the Concert of Ancient Music, was born at Shaw, near Oldham, Lancashire. In 1813 she was placed in the chorus of the Concert of Ancient Music, the directors of which, finding her possessed of superior abilities, soon withdrew her from that position, took her as an articled pupil, and placed her under Greatorex. In 1815 she appeared at the concerts as a principal singer with success. In 1816 she sang at the Derby Festival, in 1818 at Worcester, and in 1820 at Birmingham. From
- A=453 vibrations per second.