Page:A Dictionary of Music and Musicians vol 4.djvu/547
it in 1839. About 1840 he became director of Daublaine & Callinet's factory, and at the Paris Exhibition of 1855 he received a first-class medal and the Cross of the Legion of Honour. His patent for electric organs was purchased by Bryceson of London. He remained with Merklin until 1860, when he set up a factory of his own under the firm of Barker & Verschneider, and built the organs of St. Augustin and of Montrouge in Paris, both electric. The war of 1870 caused him to leave Paris and return to this country, where he built the organs for the Catholic cathedrals of Cork and Dublin. He died at Maidstone Nov. 26, 1879.
[ V. de P. ]
[ W. B. S. ]
BARNARD, Rev. John. Line 6 from end of article, add, It is now in the British Museum. (Corrected in later editions.)BARNBY, JOSEPH. See vol. i. p. 145 a, and add to the article found there, that the time of Mr. Barnby's tenure of St. Andrew's, Wells Street, was from 1863 to 1871, when he became organist of St. Anne's, Soho. Here be instituted the annual performances of Bach's 'Passion according to St. John,' which he had previously introduced to English audiences at the Hanover Square Rooms. At the formation of the London Musical Society [see that article in Appendix] he was appointed conductor, and in this capacity introduced Dvořák's 'Stabat Mater' and other important novelties. On Nov. 10, 1884 the Albert Hall Choral Society gave under his direction a remarkable performance of the music of Wagner's 'Parsifal,' in which the principal solo parts were sung by some of their greatest German representatives. In 1886 he succeeded Mr. Shakespeare as conductor at the Royal Academy of Music. Mention must be made of his psalm, 'The Lord is King,' produced with success at the Leeds Festival of 1883. (Died Jan. 28, 1896.)
[ M. ]
BARNETT, John. Line 1, for July 1 read July 15. Line 18, for two masses read one mass. (Died Apr. 17, 1890.)BARNETT, John Francis. Correct date of birth to Oct. 16, 1837. Add the following to his works since 1874:—Besides many compositions for the PF., among which may be mentioned three impromptus dedicated to F. Hiller, and a sonata in E minor dedicated to E. Pauer, Mr. Barnett has produced three important works at various festivals. The first of these, 'The Good Shepherd,' was written for the Brighton Festival of 1876, and the second, 'The Building of the Ship,' for the Leeds Festival of 1880, where it met with great and well-deserved success. In the following year he wrote an orchestral suite, entitled 'The Harvest Festival' for the Norwich Festival. In addition to the above we may refer to Mr. Barnett's Concerto Pastorale for flute and orchestra, a Sonata in E minor for flute and pianoforte, and a Scena for contralto, 'The Golden Gate,' set to words by the late 'Hugh Conway.'
[ M. ]
BARONI-CAVALCABO. See vol. ii. 729 b.
BARRET. Add that he died Mar. 8, 1879. (Corrected in late editions.)
BARRETT, Thomas. See London Violin Makers, vol ii. 164 b.BARRETT, William Alexander, English writer on music; born at Hackney Oct. 15, 1836; was a chorister at St. Paul's, where he is now Vicar-choral, and is a Mus. Bac. of Oxford (1870). Mr. Barrett has published 'English Glee and Madrigal Writers' (1877), 'English Church Composers' (1882), 'Balfe, his Life and Work' (1882), and other works; he was joint editor with Dr. Stainer of the 'Dictionary of Musical Terms' (1875). He has been for many years musical reporter of the 'Morning Post'; for some time edited the 'Monthly Musical Record,' and is editor of the 'Musical Times.'
[ G. ]
[ G. ]