considerable village, containing more than two hundred houses. In the year 1773, this and Saint Louis were the only villages on the western side of the river. At a short distance below is a small settlement, called the Saline, where large quantities of salt are made, and sold at the works for about one dollar per bushel. Not far from Saint Genevieve, in a western direction, a large number of lead furnaces are worked, producing great quantities of lead, where it may be purchased at three or four cents per pound. In various parts of a large tract of country south of the Missouri, numerous lead mines are to be found. Many of them are not more than two or three feet below the surface, and may be worked with great ease. Were the inhabitants sufficiently numerous to work the mines, it is supposed a quantity of lead might be obtained from the ore, equal to the supply of all Europe.
The principal mines which have yet been worked, are near the head waters and branches of the river Marameg. This river is of considerable size ; it enters the Mississippi about twenty miles below Saint Louis ; it comes in nearly in the direction of the Missouri ; and its widely extended branches reach far back into the country. About forty miles from Saint Genevieve, on a branch of the Marameg, is Barton's mine, discovered by Francis Barton, who obtained a grant of the land, and began to work the ore nearly forty years ago. It is now in the possession of a Mr.