C 262 ]
of ancient, architecture. Of these, the latter were built by Thomas Beauchamp Earl of Warwick, in the year 1394; the former in the year 1694; the older body having been burned down in a dreadful lire; the particulars are commemorated in the fol- lowing inscription on the north, west, and south sides of the tower:
templum b. mariie collegiatum primitus a rog. de novo burgo com. war. temp. steph. r. instauuatum postea a tho. de j1ello-campo c. war. ex toto reedifica- tum. anno m ccc xciiii, conflagr atione stupenda, non aris, non focis parcente, dirutu.m v. sep. m dc xciiii. novum hoc pietate publica inchoatum, et provec- tum; regia absolutum est, sub l.etis ashje auspiciis, anno memorabili mdcciiii.
The bod)' of the church and its adjoining members have many handsome tablets scattered upon their walls, amongst the rest we were particularly pleased with one, bearing the following Latin inscription, which, at the same time that it preserves to pos- terity die remembrance of an exemplary character, docs credit to the feeling and liberality of an an- c. tor of the present Earl of Warwick; who, by the LrecYon of this monument, gratefully endea- voured to perpetuate the recollection of his virtues'