This page needs to be proofread.
Succession to property.
- 49. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Article, all property and assets which immediately before the commencement of this Constitution were vested in Her Majesty for the purposes of the colony of North Borneo shall on the commencement of this Constitution vest in the State.
- (2) Any land in the State which immediately before the commencement of this Constitution was vested in Her Majesty shall on the commencement of this Constitution vest in the State.
- (3) Any property which was immediately before the commencement of this Constitution liable to escheat to Her Majesty shall on the commencement of this Constitution be liable to escheat to the State.
Rights, liabilities and obligations.
- 50. (1) All rights, liabilities and obligations of Her Majesty in respect of the government of the colony of North Borneo shall on the commencement of this Constitution become rights, liabilities and obligations obligations of the State.
- (2) In this Article rights, liabilities and obligations include rights, liabilities and obligations arising from contract or otherwise, other than rights to which Article 49 applies.
First Yang di-Pertua Negara.
- 51. The first Yang di-Pertua Negara shall be a person nominated before Malaysia Day by Her Majesty and the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, and appointed shall be for a term of two years beginning with Malaysia Day.
Transitional provisions relating to the Legislature.
- 52. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Article, the Legislative Council established by the North Borneo (Legislative Council) Orders in Council 1950 to 1961 shall remain in being on and after Malaysia Day and shall, unless sooner dissolved by the Yang di-Pertua Negara, stand dissolved on 1st June, 1964.
- (2) The Legislative Council continued in being by this Article shall be known as the Legislative Council of the State of Sabah, and until its dissolution the Legislative Assembly provided for by Article 14 shall not be established and, subject to the provisions of this Article, references in the other provisions of this Constitution to the Legislative Assembly shall, so far as the composition of the Legislative Council so admits, be construed as references to the Legislative Council.
- (3) In place of the Governor as President of the Legislative Council there shall be a Speaker of the Legislative Council appointed in accordance with Article 15.
- (4) A person who is a Temporary Member of the Legislative Council immediately before the commencement of this Constitution shall vacate his seat in the Council on its commencement.
- (5) Where a vacancy occurs among the Official or Nominated Members of the Legislative Council the Yang di-Pertua Nesara after consultation with the Chief Minister may appoint a person to fill the vacancy