This page needs to be proofread.
- (c) such number of elected members as the Legislature may by law prescribe. elected in such manner as may be provided by Federal or State law;
- (d) such number of other members (hereinafter referred to as " nominated members "), not being more than three, as the Governor, acting in his discretion after consultation with the Chief Minister, may appoint ; and
- (e) subject to clause (4) of Article 18, one standing member, namely the person who, immediately before the cornmencement of this Constitution, is the standing member of the Council Negri established by the existing Orders.
- (2) Until the Legidature otherwise prescribes the number of elected members shall be thirty-six.
- 15. (1) The Speaker shall be appointed by the Governor acting in his discretion after consultation with the Chief Minister from among persons qualified to be appointed as nominated members of the Council Negri under Article 16.
- (2) The Speaker shall hold oilice for such period as may be specitied in the instrument by which he is appointed, but shall vacate his office-
- (a) if he resigns it by writing under his hand addressed to the Governor; or
- (b) if be becomes disqualined for appointment as a nominatedmember of the Council Negri.
- (3) Any question whether a person is qualified to be appointed as Speaker shall be determined by the Governor, acting in his discretion, whose decision shall be final.
- (4) During any absence of the Speaker from a sitting of the Council or any vacancy in the oiiice of Speaker such member of the Council as may be determined by the Standing Orders of the Council shall act as Speaker.
- (5) The Legslature shall by law provide for the remuneration of the Speaker, and the remuneration so provided shall be a charge on and paid out of the Consolidated Fund, and shall not be diminished as respects any holder of the oilice of Speaker after his appointment.
Qualifications of members.
- 16. Every citizen of or over the age of twer1ty~0ne years who is resident in the State is qualified to be elected as an elected member or appointed as a nominated member of the Council Negri, tutless he is disqualified for being such a member by the Federal Constitution or this Constitution or by any such law as is mentioned in Article 17.
Disqualifications for membership.
- 17. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Article, a person is disqualified forr being elected as an elected member or appointed as a nominated member of the Council Negri if-
- (a) he is and has been found or declared to be of unsound mind ;
- (b) he is an undischarged bankrupt;
- (c) he holds an office of profit other than that of Native Chief;