This page needs to be proofread.
- is (or was at his death) a citizen, but not a Singapore citizen, and was also a citizen at the beginning of that month (if then alive), is entitled upon application made to the Federal Government by his parent or guardian, to be registered as a citizen if the Federal Government is satisfied that he is ordinarily resident in the Federation outside Singapore and is of good character.
- (4) For the purposes of Clause (1) residence before Malaysia Day in the territories comprised in the Borneo States shall be treated as residence in the Federation outside Singapore.
- (5) The reference in Clause (1) to a married woman is a reference to a woman whose marriage has been registered In accordance with any written law in force in the Federation, including any such law in force before Merdeka Day, or with any written law in force before Malaysia Day in the territories comprised in the Borneo States or Singapore : Provided that this Clause shall not apply where the woman applies to be registered as a citizen before the beginning of September, 1965, or such later date as may be fixed by order of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, and is at the date of the application ordinarily resident in the Borneo States or Singapore.
- (6) In Clause (1) the words "outside Singapore" shall not have effect in the case of a woman whose husband is a citizen by naturalisation under Clause (2) of Article 19.
in Borneo States
on Malaysia Day).
- 26. Subject to Article 18, any person of or over the age of eighteen Citizenship years who is on Malaysia Day, ordinarily resident in a Borneo State is entitled, upon making application to the Federal Government before September, 1971, to be registered as a citizen if he satisfies the Federal Government-
- (a) that he has resided before Malaysia Day in the territories comprised in these States and after Malaysia Day in the Federation outside Singapore for periods which amount in the aggregate to not less than seven years in the ten years immediately preceding the date of the application, and which include the twelve months immediately preceding that date ;
- (b) that he intends to reside permanently in the Federation outside Singapore ;
- (c) that he is of good character ; and
- (d) except where the application is made before September, 1965, and the applicant has attained the age of forty-five years at the date of the application, that he has a sufficient knowledge of the Malay language or the English language or, in the case of an applicant ordinarily resident in Sarawak, the Malay language, the English language or any native language in current use in Sarawak.