Page:Alumni Oxoniensis (1715-1886) volume 1.djvu/17
H.R.H. THE PRINCE OF WALES,
ALBERT EDWARD, PRINCE OF WALES, matriculated from Christ Church, 17 Oct., 1859 : The most high, puissant, and illustrious Prince Albert Edward, Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Prince of Wales, Duke of Saxony, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Great Steward of Scotland, Duke of Cornwall and Rothsay, Earl of Chester, Carrick, and Dublin, Baron Renfrew, and Lord of the Isles, K.G., K.T., G.C.B., K.P., G.C.S.I., G.C.M.G., G.C.I.E., P.C, personal A.D.C. to Her Majesty, a field-marshal of the forces, hon. admiral of the fleet 18 July, 1887, col.-in-chief of 1st life guards, 2nd life guards, and royal horse guards, col. 10th hussars, capt-genl. of the hon. artillery company, hon. col. of the Oxford and of the Cambridge University corps, of the Middlesex Civil Service corps of rifle volunteers, of the 3rd batt. Gordon highlanders, and of the Sutherland highland rifle volunteers, hon. capt. of the royal naval reserve, field-marshal in the German army, hon. col. of the Blucher hussars 1883, hon. col. of the 12th (the Palatinate) regiment of hussars of the Austro-Hungarian army 1888; admitted to the Middle Temple, called to the bar and to the bench of that society 31 Oct., 1861, treasurer, 1887, D.C.L., Christ Church, Oxford, by diploma, 11 June, 1863, LL.D., Trin. Coll., Camb., 1864, also LL.D., Trin. Coll., Dublin 1868, of Calcutta 1875, and of the Royal University of Ireland 1885, an Elder Brother of Trinity House, also Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of Freemasons of England, president of the Society of Arts and of St. Bartholomew's Hospital. His Royal Highness was born at Buckingham Palace 9 Nov., 1841, created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, by patent under the Great Seal, 4 Dec, 1841, baptized at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, 25 Jan., 1842, married there 10 March, 1863, H.R.H. the Princess Alexandra Caroline Mary Charlotte Louisa Julia (v.a., c.i., and Mus. Doc. Royal University of Ireland 1885), eldest dau. of Christian IX., King of Denmark, born 1 Dec, 1844, and has had 3 sons and 3 daus.
(1) Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward, K.G., 1883, of Trin. Coll., Camb., 1885, capt. 10th (Prince of Wales' Own) Royal Hussars 1887, personal A.D.C. to the Queen 1887, hon. sub-lieut. royal naval reserve, 1883, admitted to the Middle Temple, called to the bar and to the bench of that society 10 June, 1885 ; born 8 Jan., 1864, baptized at Buckingham Palace.
(2) Prince George Frederick Ernest Albert, K.G., 1885, personal naval A.D.C. to the Queen 1887, lieut. R.N. ; born 3 June, 1865, baptized at Windsor Castle.
(3) Prince Alexander John Charles Albert, born 6, died 7 April, 1871.
(4) Princess Louise Victoria Alexandra Dagmar, born 20 Feb., 1867.
(5) Princess Victoria Alexandra Olga Mary, born 6 July, 1868.
(6) Princess Maud Charlotte Mary Victoria, born 26 Nov., 1869.
- H.R.H. resigned, Oct., 1863, on behalf of himself and his descendants, all right and title to the reigning dukedom of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, in favour of the Duke of Edinburgh and his descendants.
[ 1 ]