lo Tavistock Records. [ 1470-71
[1470-71] From feast to feast of Invention of Holy Cross. Jolin Brnue, ' Custodis legitti ' of the parish church of Tavystok.
Receipts — vj^' ij^ viij'^ of John ffoster, preceding warden, Et de nich recept' de S*^ pulors mortuo3 hoc anno ToUing the bells and having the cross in the day of the death of Nicholas Weryng xij*^ Torches (torticiis trimantibus) in the day of the death of John Calegam iiij'^ Tolling the bells and having the cross for John Mychell xvj'^ [Ditto John Snovvdon viij"^ Ditto for the wife of Baldwin Coteler viij^^J Of John Medowill for broches (verutis) ij*^ Of John Pacchecote for letting [?] the same broches (verutis ejusdem locatis) ij*^ John Plumer [ditto] ij"^ John Chubbeston [ditto] ij*^ Richard Deer [ditto] ij*^ John Vdy for bell and cross iiij^ John Drake bell and cross 111]*^ And of xxvij^ received for a girdle sold out of the legacy of John Bodeer, whence xliij* vj*^ to the store of the church and xiij^ vj*^ to the store of St. Eustachius And of ij'^ received for broches (verutis locatis) Walter Browne.
[Broches is the term used in subsequent accounts. The word is sometimes employed for the clasps of a cope, and it is possible that these payments were for the special ornament of this vestment during the service. But it is also used for a taper. Vide ' Piers Ploughman.']
Rents of Assize — Lands and tenements in Nuttelegh, late John Gylla, \'f viij'^ Garden formerly Robert Wode- manyswill vj'^ Garden formerly Christina Crokker xij*^ Land formerly Robert Brenta, in which John Dorant now dwells, ij^ Meadow formerly John Glauceter, at Pashill, ij* Garden formerly Ranulph Hunta, which Joan Bvsshoppe now holds, ij"* Meadow formerly Amice Bere, which Joan Busshoppe [holds], ij^ Tenement and garden formerly Emmote Heddon xij*^ Tenement formerly John Atte Wylle, which Joan Tankrete now holds, xiiij* Garden formerly John Okelegh, which Joan Tankrete now holds, xij*^ Meadow formerly Coryton, at ffordestrete, ij^ x** Land and tenement formerly Richard Hulet, which Richard Laurens now holds, in Crewbeare, xv'* Lands and tene- ments formerly Richard Hulet, which John Wyndesore now holds in Crewbeare, xv Garden formerly Agnes Coryton, which Roger Smyth now holds, xij*^ Garden called Sient mare hay which John Mey lately held, xvj'^ Tene- ment formerly Robert Lucas xvj*^ Barn formerly Robert Popleston, with garden adjacent, x" Tenement formerly John Saull, next the tenement lately John Colmystorre,