Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 08.djvu/25

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
Burton
Bury
21

two residences. His health was failing many months prior to his decease, which took place at 174 Hudson Street, New York, 9 Feb. 1860, from a fatty degeneration of the heart, in the fifty-eighth year of his age. As an actor he held the first rsnk, and in his peculiar line the present generation cannot hope to witness his equal. He was twice married, the second time, in April 1853, to Miss Jane Livingston Hill, an actress, who, after suffering from mental derangement, died at New York on 22 April 1863, aged 39. His large fortune was ultimately divided between his three daughters, Cecilia, Virginia, and Rosine Burton.

[Ireland's Records of the New York Stage (1867). ii. 235-38; Ripley and Dana's American Cyclopædia (1873), iii. 478; Drake's American Biography (1872), p. 147; The Era, London, 4 March 1860, p. 14; Willis's Current Notes, 1852, p. 38; Cyclopædia of Wit and Humour (1857), with Portrait.]

G. C. B.


BURTON, WILLIAM PATON (1828–1883), water-colour painter, son of Captain William Paton Burton, of the Indian army, was born at Madras in 1828 and educated at Edinburgh. After studying for a short time in the office of David Bryce, the architect, he turned to landscape painting, and was a frequent exhibitor at the Royal Academy and in Suffolk Street between 1862 and 1880. His works consisted of views in England, Holland, France, Italy, and Egypt. He died suddenly at Aberdeen on 31 Dec. 1883.

[Athenæum, January 1884.]

L. F.

BURTT, JOSEPH (1818–1876), archæologist and assistant-keeper in the national Record Office, was born in the parish of St. Pancras, London, on 7 Nov. 1818. He was educated by his father, who was a private tutor, known as a Greek scholar, and author of a Latin grammar. He entered the public service as a lad of fourteen in 1832 under Sir Francis Palgrave, by whom he was employed on work connected with the Record Commission at the chapter-house of Westminster Abbey. Here he continued his labours for many years, arranging and making inventories of the national records then housed in that building. In August 1851 he was promoted to be assistant-keeper of the records of the second class, and was raised to be a first-class assistant-keeper in June 1859, a position which he enjoyed to his death. About this time Burtt superintended the removal from the old chapter-house to the newly erected record office in Fetter Lane of the vast mass of documents which had been lying, many of them unsorted and uncatalogued, in that most unsuitable depository. The calendaring of the chancery records of Durham was a task which Burtt undertook in addition to his ordinary official duties. He was also employed in his private capacity by Dean Stanley and the chapter of Westminster in sorting and arranging the muniments of the abbey, and he was the first to commence the work of examining and bringing into order the muniments of the dean and chapter of Lincoln. In 1862 he became secretary of the Royal Archæological Institute, to which he subsequently added the editorship of the 'Archæological Journal.' He was for many years the prime mover of all the operations of the institute, especially in connection with its annual congresses, which were ably organised by him. As a private friend Burtt was much and deservedly valued. He died after a protracted illness at his residence at Tulse Hill on 15 Dec. 1876, and was buried in Nunhead Cemetery. Burtt contributed a large number of arch{{ae}ological and historical papers to the 'Journal of the Archæological Institute,' the 'Gentleman's Magazine,' the 'Athenæum,' 'Archæologia Cantiana,' and other kindred periodicals. He also edited the 'Household Expenses of John of Brabant and of Thomas and Henry of Lancaster' for the 'Miscellany' of the Camden Society.

[Journal of the Archæological Institute, xxxiv, 90-2; private information.]

E. V.

BURY, ARTHUR, D.D. (1624–1714?), theologian, was the son of the Rev. John Bury (1580-1667) [q. v.], and matriculated at Exeter College, Oxford, on 5 April 1639, aged 15. He took his degree of B.A. on 29 Nov, 1642, was elected a Petreian fellow of his college on 30 June 1643, and become full fellow on 6 May 1645. When Oxford was garrisoned for the king. Bury laboured at the works of defence and took his turn among the guards who watched over its safety. Like most of his associates, he refused to submit to the parliamentary visitors of the university, and was driven from the city to take refuge with his sequestered father in Devonshire. At the Restoration he was restored to his fellowship, and was offered, according to his statement in after life, preferment 'more than eight times the value' of the mastership of his college, but declined the offer. In 1666 the rectorship at Exeter College became vacant, and Bury was elected (27 May), partly on the recommendation of Archbishop Sheldon and partly under instructions from Charles II (which were somewhat resented by the college) that he should be elected, 'notwithstanding any statute or