Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 08.djvu/33
the treasury papers to the lord high treasurer, about offering a reward for the apprehension of one Robert Mann. On the death of Sir Samuel Dodd, Bury was raised by King George I to be chief baron of the exchequer 10 June 1716. He died on 4 May 1722, suddenly, having been engaged in the discharge of his judicial duties until within a few hours of his death; and was buried, with a handsome tomb, in the parish church of Grantham, Lincolnshire. He left no issue, and his estates at Irby, near Wainfleet, passed to his grandnephew, William Bury, of Lyndwood Grange, Lincolnshire. There is a portrait of him, engraved in mezzotint by Smith, after a picture by J. Richardson dated 1720 (Noble, Granger, iii. 198).
[Foss's Lives of the Judges; Campbell's Lives of the Chief Justices, ii. 160; Patents, William III, p. 5; Burnet, v. 219 note; Luttrell, 6, 572, 573; Wotton's Baronetage, iv. 99; Epitaph Grantham church; Turnor's Grantham, 18; Collins's English Baronetage, iv. 99; Cal. Treas. Papers, 1708–14; Redington, p. 492; Catalogue Oxford Graduates.]
BURY, THOMAS TALBOT (1811–1877), architect, was descended from a Worcestershire family, afterwards settled in the city of London. He was born on 26 Sept. 1811, and was articled in 1824 to Augustus Pugin. Among his fellow-pupils were Messrs. Ferrey, Dollman, Shaw, Lake Price, Nash, Walker, and Charles Mathews the actor. He commenced practice in Gerrard Street, Soho, in 1830; and, in addition to his architectural practice, was often engaged in engraving and lithographing his own and other architects' drawings, notably those of Pugin and Owen Jones. He was particularly skilful in colouring architectural studies, and his aid in this respect was often sought by the most eminent architects of the day when they were engaged in preparing designs for competition. In 1847 he published his 'Remains of Ecclesiastical Woodwork,' illustrated by himself; and in 1849, his 'History and Description of the Styles of Architecture of various Countries, from the Earliest to the Present Period.' He was engaged with Pugin in designing the details of the houses of parliament under Sir Charles Barry. He frequently exhibited his works at the Royal Academy between 1846 and 1872; and sent to the International Exhibition of 1862 a large picture representing, at one view, all the churches, schools, public and other buildings erected by him. This fine drawing is now preserved as a record at the Institute of British Architects. Among his principal works were 35 churches and chapels, 15 parsonages, 12 schools, and 20 other large public buildings and private residences in various parts of England and Wales. He was elected an associate of the Institute of British Architects in 1839, and a fellow in 1843. In 1876 he was elected a vice-president. He was in 1863 made a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and was also a member of the council of the Royal Archæological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, a member of the Cambrian Archæological Association, and an associate of the Society of Civil Engineers. His collections of architectural and antiquarian books, his pictures, drawings, cabinets, and armour, were sold at Christie's in the autumn of 1877. On 23 Feb. 1877 he died, a widower and childless, and was buried at Norwood Cemetery.
[Redgrave's Dictionary of Artists of the English School; Journal of the Archæological Institute; Archæologia Cambrensis; Transactions of the Institute of British Architects; Builder, 1877.]
BUSBY, RICHARD (1606-1695), headmaster of Westminster School, was the second son of Mr. Richard Busby, a citizen of Westminster, but was born, 22 Sept. 1606, at Lutton, otherwise called Sutton St. Nicholas, in Lincolnshire. He obtained a king's scholarship at Westminster, and was educated at that school, whence he was elected, in 1624, to a studentship at Christ Church, Oxford, where he took his B.A. degree in 1628 and his M.A. in 1631. He was for some time a tutor at Christ Church, and in 1639 was admitted to the prebend and rectory of Cudworth, with the chapel of Knowle annexed, in Somersetshire. He was appointed master of Westminster School provisionally when Osbolston was deprived of that office in 1638, but was not confirmed in it till 23 Dec. 1640. In the civil war he lost the profits of his rectory and prebend, but in spite of his staunch loyalty and churchmanship managed to retain both his studentship and his mastership. His only trouble during this period was of a local character. The second master, Edward Bagshaw the younger [q. v.], tried to supplant him, but 'was removed out of his place for his insolence' in May 1658. Bagshaw published in 1659 an account of the transaction from his own point of view. Upon the restoration Dr. Busby's services to the royal cause were immediately recognised. In July 1660 he was made by the king prebendary of Westminster, and in the following month canon residentiary and treasurer at Wells. At the coronation of Charles II he had the high honour of carrying the ampulla. He was elected proctor for the chapter